Monday, January 30, 2006

Here we go again...Kid free-for-all

Photo For You Ebay Store

Yep, just as I suspected. The kids aren't making this easy. When Grandma comes, they push the limits because they know that when I discipline them then I look like the bad guy, and their grandma can't understand what the big deal is.

A few weeks ago, I had to work late and came home and the kids had grilled about $20 worth of steak and chicken breasts. Needless to say, those meats are reserved for special occasions because we can't afford to eat like that every night. They got in trouble and received a lecture about how we can't afford to eat that much meat and how they shouldn't get into things like that unless they call me to see if it is okay. Well, today A***** decided that the kids didn't want to eat the leftovers, or make something with the roast beef I have prepared for casseroles or other meals, or make something with Tuna fish, or make chili dogs, or make cheese sandwiches with tomato soup/bean and bacon soup. No...she decided it would be a good idea to grill more chicken breasts that we can't afford to just eat whenever. I wouldn' t be so mad, but we had this discussion like 10-14 days ago. Also, if they had called to see if it was okay, I probably would have said yes since their grandma is in town. However, they didn't ask, they grilled it anyway, and when Melissa got upset with the kids...grandma couldn't understand why she was upset. The Grandma also set about to rescue A******, offering to pay for the chicken (which is only part of the problem). The bigger problem in my mind is that my kids feel entitled to get into things that aren't their's, use things without permission, and generally scoff at their parents rules. Another huge problem is that A***** is aware of the rule, but manipulated the situation because "Grandma is here and we won't get in as much trouble." They know we don't have a great relationship, and they know their Grandma will take their side and try to prevent them from receiving any serious consequences as I don't want the bad vibes to continue in our relationship. I don't understand how a grown-up adult cannot see how it is a bad influence on kids to undermine their parents' rules. Kind of a stupid blog tonight, but that is what is on my mind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Native Minnow said...

Not stupid. Annoying as hell! I'd be pissed too if I were you. In fact, that's one of the reasons I didn't push for custody - I'm not patient enough for stuff like that and I would have snapped.

1/31/2006 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home