Monday, January 16, 2006

Movies about Racism...

Photo For You Ebay Store

I just watched the movie "Crash" the other night, and it was a really good movie to help me realize that blatant and subtle racism are well and alive in the Land of the Free. Yes, I realize it isn't a documentary, but I do think it well-portrayed some of the impact of racism on US citizens, and I was especially convicted by the white people in the show joking about racism, or verbalizing their subtly racist views that more people hold than are willing to admit. I hated to think that it is true that there is still a huge amount of mistrust between races, even those who say they aren't racist: like the good cop in the movie that asked for a transfer so he wouldn't have to work with the racist bad cop. This cop actually shot some Black kid in the movie because his preconceived notions of what it meant to be Black included that a young black man always "packs heat." I actually think we are at a frightening crossroads in the US...I heard some Idahoan Congressman last Summer on the radio preaching border reform to keep out illegal aliens. I think it is a good idea to better-secure our borders, but I didn't like the vituperative words this man used to energize the crowd in the fight against illegal aliens. It reminded me of the galvanizing power that Hitler had over his people in Nazi Germany in scapegoating the Jews for all of the Motherland's problems. I don't think it is racist to pursue border reform, but some methods are more racist than others. Also, illegal immigrants from other countries are not the cause of all of our country's woes. We do plenty of harm to our country when we use/produce/traffic drugs, try to cheat the welfare system, take disability and unemployment because work is hard, rally against our president in a time of war, worry so much about making a dollar that we ignore our neighbors and those in need....it has been a long time since I have written and it is harder than I thought to put together a cogent, well-written, to-the-point blog. My original comment I wanted to make is:

Isn't it funny that movies about racism and stamping out hate always make us hate the racists? I am looking forward to seeing the movie Munich and seeing how well it does in exploring both sides of that conflict's hatred (Jewish/Arab).

Good night...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home