Monday, April 07, 2008

I guess I have to quit...

I received a phone call from a lady who is experiencing some moderate to severe neurocognitive deficits. She did not like a phrase I used in my report and called me up to lambast me for it. She basically told me that I called her a liar, that I had no empathy for anyone, and that I had no business being a clinical psychologist. I guess I should just throw my 22 years of schooling down the tube and quit...anyone know any good careers?

This is what I wrote:

Unknown Etiology of Existing Cognitive Deficits
It is unknown what is responsible for ******'s current cognitive limitations. She reported that her IQ has dropped nearly 2 standard deviations since she was tested in 2003. However, this seems unlikely and no evidence was presented to verify this report. Nevertheless, regardless of how many points her IQ has deteriorated, it is clear that she is experiencing serious cognitive deficits that interfere with her ability to work and with other areas of her life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Magic Marker said...

Ryan, you are so harsh:) You are a great therapist and it sounds like you were giving a truthful diagnosis. Although if you would like to quit, there are some openings in our district for a psychologist!

4/07/2008 7:22 PM  
Blogger deputymomof6 said...

Liars hate it when you call them on their lies. Oh well....

4/07/2008 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think she was lying...I think someone was giving her feedback on past IQ testing and "padding" it for her...For example, I went to work at another place where I had tested a 30 year old man and when he saw me he commented that I was right on in my diagnosis. He went on to say that he had no idea that he was "near genius level" in his IQ...I think his IQ was 116 and his verbal abilities were like 122...that is a far cry from genius, but therapists and counselors try to make people feel good about IQ testing and exaggerate results so people don't "feel bad." I think this lady was mostly upset because she thinks the evaluation won't be as favorable as she wanted for SSI applications...Dr. Psycho

4/07/2008 10:37 PM  
Blogger Delirious said...

I wonder if she took the ones online. lol

4/09/2008 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home