Thursday, February 09, 2006

Wash new clothing???

Am I weird? I got a new shirt yesterday for my birthday from a co-worker. I took it out of its plastic wrap today, pulled out the pins and cardboard, and ironed it. I wore it to work today with my new tie. The nurse was shocked that I would be wearing the shirt so soon...She questioned, "Did you have time to wash it already?" To which I replied, "No, I just took it out of the bag, ironed it and wore it." She seemed very disgusted, "You don't know where that shirt has been." I mean it could have been touched by dirty Asian, Black, or Latino textile workers, and a lot of them might have HIV or Tuberculosis. She didn't say that last thing, but I wonder why people think new clothes are so dirty. Anyone else find it strange that I dont' wash my clothes before wearing them the first time?

5 Comments:

Blogger Native Minnow said...

I don't either, but I think that puts us in the minority. I don't think I've ever heard of a case where someone contracted a serious illness from wearing new clothes that hadn't been washed yet. I guess I like my chances - I'm 30 and it hasn't happened to me.

2/10/2006 7:49 AM  
Blogger Native Minnow said...

and by the way - it's spelled
w-e-i-r-d

2/10/2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger flieswithoutwings said...

My wife thinks it is strange to wash clothes first. I was raised to do so. I doubt I will ever get a sickness from unwashed "new" clothes but mostly I hate it when it when clothes have the store's prominent creases. I like to have a few wrinkles so it doesn't look like I'm trying to show off brand new clothes. I also rotate new clothes in slowly. I don't like to wear an entire new outfit. I'll send a new shirt in one day and new pants in another before I wear them together. I'm a freak. I know.

2/13/2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger PsychDoctor said...

I ironed the clothes first, so they didn't have the weird creasings... :) Now for my next confession...I don't wash clothes from second hand stores first either. :)

2/13/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger deputymomof6 said...

You better wash the ones you buy for the kids!! :) That grosses me out.

2/14/2006 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home