Thursday, February 09, 2006

I no longer pine for springtime...

On the way to work today, I was listening to the new Mix CD that nativeminnow sent me. A song by Welcome Interstate Managers came on. This was one of my favorite songs last winter as I was braving the Utah cold and snow. The lyrics are:

Hey Sweet AnnieDon't take it so bad
You know the summer's coming soon
Though the interstate is choking under salt and dirty sand
And it seems the sun is hiding from the world
Your daddy told youWhen you were a girl
The kind of things that come to those who wait
So give it a rest girlTake a deep breath girl
And meet me at the Bay State tonight
And the snow is coming down
On our New England town
And it's been falling all day long
What else is new?
What could I do?
I wrote a valley winter song
To play for you
And late DecemberCan drag a man down
You feel it deep in your gut
Short days and afternoons spent puttering around
In a dark house with the windows painted shut
Remember New York Staring outside
As reckless winter made its way
From Staton Island to the Upper West Side
Whiting out our streets along the way
And the snow is coming down
On our New England town
And it's been falling all day long
What else is new
What can I do
But sing this valley winter song
I wrote for you
It just didn't have the same impact on me here in Bakersfield. The winters are mildy cold, and sometimes it even freezes, but it is the first of February and the fruit trees are already in full bloom. Daffodils and tulips are already pushing through the deep, dark soil. The robins never even seem to have left. I read a comment FliesWithoutWings wrote on another blog about how Northeastern Utah even has a mental soundtrack for him. That when he hears certain songs, they are somehow indelibly linked in his mind with Flaming Gorge. I think it is also true that certain songs have more power when experienced in certain environments/locations. I know that is definitely true of "Valley Winter Song."

2 Comments:

Blogger Native Minnow said...

I agree. There are many, many songs that take me back to the place that I associate them with the most, whether that's Flaming Gorge, Beaver, or Provo.

In fact, many of my favorite songs are my favorites because they spoke to me about certain situations in my life (such as when I first separated from my wife and then heard a Wilco song which begins "Dreamed about killing you again last night . . ."

I often wonder if these musicians realize the impact they have on the lives of those who listen to their music.

2/09/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger PsychDoctor said...

I think they do, and that is a part of what helps them feel fulfilled in what they do...I doubt the creative effort would be as rewarding if the artist knew no one would ever partake of it. I think that is part of the joy of creative effort.

2/09/2006 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home