Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Grandma Great...

I just saw a link to a blog dedicated to my great grandparents on my mother's/grandmother's side. I was thinking of the funny things I remember about Grandma Great (as she had us call her). I remember her teaching us how to make cheese and jam sandwiches. It sounds disgusting, but tastes great. I remember another time she was eating oatmeal. We could see weevil or some type of bugs in the oatmeal and we told her, "Ewwww Grandma!!! There are bug in your oatmeal. She just smiled and said, "It's more fiber" and kept on eating it. I remember helping spring clean and finding out her ceiling in the kitchen was light blue, not gray. It was gray from the wood-burning cooking stove she had in there. I loved how her washer drained out into her garden, watering her flowers. We used to love watching the suds come out. I also loved the old metal pitcher/container that she used for all of her spoons.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger ~Kris said...

I remember being bored at her house one day, so we started going through trunks....and we found braids of human hair stuck in sacks. It was disgusting, but we put them in the museum in Hatch. I think they are still there.

5/15/2008 7:47 AM  
Blogger Inklings said...

Your Grandma (Dad's mom) has braids of hair, too. She keeps trying to give them to us and we keep telling her we don't want them!

5/15/2008 8:55 AM  
Blogger Keira said...

i remember finding the hair in the trunk too!

5/15/2008 10:14 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Ryan, do you know Ron Wilkinson's cell phone number? I have a family emergency and need to talk to him about getting power of attorney. Will you email me if you have it? Thanks, Dani

5/15/2008 3:36 PM  
Blogger Native Minnow said...

I still eat cheese and jam sandwiches from time to time, but only with raspberry jam.

5/15/2008 7:03 PM  
Blogger Delirious said...

I remember watching her eat cauliflower one time that had tons of little flies in it. They were so small, they were hard to see. She kept insisting it was the flowers of the cauliflower. I tried to tell her it was bugs, but her eyes weren't very good. Finally, after she had eaten it all, she could see the bugs. I don't think she cared though.

I used to like to look at her button jars. She had drawers full of little baby food jars. She had buttons sorted by color. The one thing I wish I had of hers was her notebook she kept of funny names. I remember reading through that and laughing.

5/16/2008 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home