Tuesday, May 06, 2008

FamilySearchIndexing.org

Our Stake President has made a goal for our stake to index 1 million names from various government records. This will allow people to seach for ancestors via the internet instead of microfiche. I guess 50 million names have been done so far. I started last Sunday and have completed 400 names (about 10 census sheets). It is quite interesting to see the census pages and see what families were like in the 1860s and 1870s. Also, the church has prioritized these particular files because they contain the first records when African Americans were listed by name on the census. Before, they were just listed by age, race, and sex. This will help African Americans better search their ancestors. It has been fun, and I encourage everyone to try it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger PsychDoctor said...

It is very easy to learn, and you don't have to be LDS/Mormon to do it...anyone with an interest in history or geneology can contribute.

5/06/2008 11:00 PM  
Blogger Inklings said...

You are doing a great service!

5/07/2008 8:38 AM  
Blogger Keira said...

I've done 5000 names so far. It's been fun. I decided to do it since I don't have the time or opportunity to go to the temple right now.

5/07/2008 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMpressive Gilbert Girl...It really is interesting to see various details about people from those time periods on the census...

5/07/2008 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because of my stroke with my right hand a few months back, I do all of my indexing with my left hand --mostly with one finger typing. I set goals of about 5oo entries
(images) per week. I thoroughly enjoy the task.
As long as I am blessed with health and strength, I will definitely continue to do my indexing to assist all people around the globe with their genealogical research.
I know this is the Lord's work.

12/06/2008 12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home