Friday, July 23, 2010

It takes two...

I was talking to my neighbor as I was getting ready to get into my car on the way to work...

He looked up and saw that we were getting our windows worked on. He asked, "Didn't you just get ductwork done?"

I said, "Yeah."

He asked, "What are you doing now?"

I told him we were replacing the windows because they are metal frames and not very energy efficient.

He said something about his windows being vinyl.

I then said that if it had been up to me, we would have waited on the windows, but that my wife generally gets what she wants.

His reply?

"It takes two to spend money."

Really?!? It takes two? Or can one person in a relationship spend as much as they want without the consent of the other?

I thought that was an odd statement. I know a guy who found out last year that his wife had run up a few secret credit card accounts and had amassed close to $100,000 in debt with nothing to show for it.

Really, it can just take one person in a relationship to spend money.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay Logic said...

I know a girl that spends a lot of money behind her husband's back- we ordered sweaters together on her Maurice's account and she changed the statements to go to her e-mail, rather than to her house, because her husband won't be making as much money this year and she didn't want him to know. As a working woman, I will confess that sometimes it's easier not to ask for money, but I also know that if I got new windows, it would have to be a unanimous decision. We may not ask each other on small purchases, but on large purchases, we have to agree. This guy probably comes from a relationship that is very open about those kinds of things, and you're probably passive, and look at it from all options- it will increase your home value, decrease your energy costs, etc. It's also hard to reign in spending, when you're both working. Couples who only have one working spouse don't understand it.

7/23/2010 12:31 PM  
Blogger Lindsay Logic said...

I also believe that money troubles amass when one partner takes over the finances. I think both partners should be involved in managing the finances, seeing where money's going, and budgeting. It's hard to do if you don't have time to sit down, but I believe it would be beneficial. (We don't do it- I pay everything, but JD doesn't get where all the money goes...)

7/23/2010 12:32 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

oh my gosh, how scary would that be to have your spouse run up that much debt?!

7/26/2010 8:40 AM  
Blogger PsychDoctor said...

I know...I would die of a heart attack...

7/26/2010 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home