Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Val's Funeral

(Val looking like he did when we worked together)

(Val after he was diagnosed with cancer)

I went to Val's funeral today...He was such a great man. I miss those days sharing a tiny office with 2 others (Val and Bethany)... We had such a great program that Val ran at the jail--the OUT Program (On-Unit Treatment). The eulogies were nice, as was the music. I caught up with old co-workers and it was a wonderful funeral. There is something about being around old friends that sharpens your memory. I was able to remember some of the funniest stuff from years ago. We laughed a lot at his funeral, but there were also tears. I feel sad for his children, as their mother also died of cancer about 3 years ago. I also feel for his unborn grandchildren as they will never know such a great man during their mortality. He touched thousands of lives for the better during his stay on Earth. It's sad he was taken so young. He is one of the most influential people I have ever known...Even though I haven't had a lot of contact with him since leaving my job at the jail, I will still miss him.

(this post is kind of disjointed...I have a headache so it isn't making much sense)


Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Nene said...

Kind of makes you think the Lord needed him up there more. He must be happy to be with his wife again too. Sorry you lost a good friend.

2/04/2010 2:55 AM  
Blogger Delirious said...

I always feel that some people are just too good for this world, so the Lord takes them early.

2/04/2010 5:59 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

he looks like he was a nice guy, I'm sorry you lost a friend

2/04/2010 7:23 AM  
Blogger Inklings said...

I always question why parents have to leave little children, too, and especially when it is both parents, like in this instance. I guess it is something we won't understand in this life.

2/04/2010 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, he divorced the wife that died of cancer...she wasn't a nice person. The one in the photo was the one he married about 2 years ago, just before getting diagnosed with cancer...

2/04/2010 8:21 AM  
Blogger Magic Marker said...

Thanks Ryan! It was fun to catch up with everyone and share our memories and remember Val. He was such a great man!

2/04/2010 8:48 AM  
Blogger annika700 said...

Val and I worked together back in his County Savings Bank days. He was someone who had rapport with anyone he crossed paths with. I enjoyed our talks together, his fine sense humor and contagious smile. We lost touch over the years and I'm saddened to hear of his passing. He was truly a good man. Anne

1/06/2013 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home