Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strange Transaction...

So, I received a strange email from a lady who wanted to buy a picture from me...she kept wanting things changed on the photos and was quite demanding...It got to the point that I was annoyed because I wasn't even sure she was going to purchase one of the photos from me...She just sent me and email stating that the recipient of the photo was pleased, but that she refused to give my name to 5 people who wanted to know where she got the photo from because she was not pleased with the transaction???

Here are the emails we sent back and forth...Anyone else find them strange?

Ryan-
I found on your ebay store a sepia photograph that I really liked of the Mount Timpanogos Temple and wondered if you had the same type of photo for the Salt Lake City Temple. If so, I would be interested in ordering a sepia print of the Salt Lake City Temple and also personalizing it for a temple sealing. Please let me know if this is a possibility. I’ve attached the link of the photograph I’m referring to. It would be a gift for a shower on 5/27. Thank you for your help in this request.

B.S.
********************
I can make one like that for the Salt Lake Temple...maybe email me a few pics of the angles you like of the SL temple (just do a google image search for Salt Lake Temple) and I will see if I have any from those angles that I can make one of these out of...Then I can send a small version to you for you to see if you like it.

Ryan
********************
Ryan- Thanks for being willing to work with me on this. I looked through your photos and liked these two. Also, here is the sealing info to see if it would fit. I would love to see what you come up with.
BS
********************
(I responded with an email and sent her some samples, which apparently went to her junk email because I received the following email about a week later)
********************
Ryan-
I haven’t heard back from you if you are able to do the photo request. The shower was moved to June 3rd so we have a few extra days to work on this project. Please let me know if you are or are not able to do this. Thank you for your consideration.

BS
********************
BS,
I sent you and email several days ago...it might have gone to your junk mail. Here are two variations of the print... Let me know what you think.
Ryan (and I added my cell phone number so she could call me)
********************
Ryan-
I’m sorry that I didn’t get the email! Thanks for sending the two drafts. They each looked good except for I think the writing in both is too overpowering. Is there a way on the picture of the side view of the temple to do the lettering much smaller and in dark brown? And in the front view of the temple to do the lettering much smaller and in an off-white/cream? I would love to see them that way. Thanks for your help.

BS
********************
(At this point, I didn't think I would be able to meet her criteria because it was starting to take more time than it was worth...remember, I sell these for $10...also, my internet was down)
********************
Ryan-
I haven’t heard back from this previous email and wondered if your response email had been misdirected again. The shower is in two days so I wondered if the order is even still a possibility. If it is, I would like to see the revised versions of the photos and make a decision. Thank you.

BS
********************
The emails weren't misdirected...My laptop internet isn't working so it has been harder for me to keep on top of things...Here are two more samples...not sure what you think of these. It is still possible to order them and for you to have them by 6/3...Let me know what you think...Ryan
********************
I’m sorry your internet isn’t working! How frustrating!

I liked the writing much better on both of them. I did notice however that the photo of the front shot of the temple looks crooked. Is there any way to rotate that? I will then decide between the two photos as the gift.

So, in order to get the picture printed by tomorrow before 11am (it’s a lunch shower), would you just send me the electronic file and I would print it out or would you print it and I would need to stop by somewhere to pick it up? I will need it as 8x10. We will also need to discuss pricing/payment information. I’m sorry that we’re now close to the deadline so I’m willing to work with you on the delivery.

Thanks.
BS
********************
Sorry, I was not able to meet your deadline...maybe another time...Ryan
(I received the email too late to get the photo to her)
********************
Ryan-
I actually took the file you sent of the side shot and had that enlarged since I didn’t hear back from you. (This is ILLEGAL by the way) You had promised that it would be available by the 3rd so I counted on you for my present. (I never promised anything) So I will need to pay you for the electronic version. I’m willing to pay $3.99 which is the price to purchase a 5x7 (which is the size you emailed me) from your ebay store. I believe this is reasonable since I had to do the enlarging and printing myself. I will transfer the money through PayPal if you will send me your account info. Thank you.

BS
********************
Payment can be sent through paypal to ***@hotmail.com or the address this came from...
Ryan
********************
Ryan-
Thanks for the reminder and I apologize for the delay as I was transferring funds into a PayPal account. I sent the payment yesterday through PayPal through my husband’s account at .

I wanted to pass on to you that the recipient of the photo absolutely loved it. So thank you for providing beautiful artwork. However, I am disappointed in the way things turned out with our transaction in general. Because of this, I refused to give your referral to the five+ people that asked for your contact information. (WTH?) Hopefully, this is a good learning experience for both of us and that your future business transactions will be better because of this feedback.

BS
********************
Whatever...

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Delirious said...

Actually, I don't find her comments that strange, but I think it could be a male/female communication difference. Women communicate a certain way, and she expected you to respond in that way. You did respond, but not exactly like she is used to, so she didn't really understand. I really think the burden of misunderstanding lies on her, but I can see how she got to that point. Men tend to be very terse in their writing, women tend to be very wordy. You did say the important things, but I think she needed more words to really get it. ;)

6/14/2009 8:22 AM  
Blogger Dee Ice Hole said...

you're a better man than me - about the third response and I would have sent back thank you very much for your interest but I don't have time for you!!!!! Hope you can find what you really want somewhere else. Have a nice day.

6/14/2009 10:39 AM  
Blogger Lindsay Logic said...

How annoying. I hate e-mail for work communication. You can't guarantee it got there, so if it's really that urgent, you need to follow up with a phone call. What an annoying woman. I can't believe she didn't think she should have to pay full price after being so picky!

6/14/2009 7:01 PM  
Blogger RebeckerOnline said...

The good thing about this randomness is that now you can set up another option (personalized photography requests) and charge a specific fee for it. Or, maybe that is what this was in the first place. These are the people I actually pick up the phone and call since they just never stop.

As a woman, I don't think this is entirely mars and venus stuff. I look at it as someone that shops only at yard sales and hasn't shopped online - plus have no idea what it takes to edit a photograph.

Literarily, it is a blessing not to have her friends referred to you. Can you imagine what they would expect? The price of working with these types of people is far to expensive. This fits in the "there's no time for people like that" category.

6/14/2009 7:50 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Okay I think you should say that photo prices are based on as-is, if they want customizing it's an extra $5-$10, and I'd let her know that the reason the transaction didn't go as she liked was because she asked for too many revisions in such a short amount of time and I can't believe she only paid you $4 for it - SHEESH!!!

6/15/2009 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I understand her frustration because my internet was down...but she only checked her email once a day or every other day...that was part of the problem is that she would not respond quickly to my emails. The part that bothered me was the condescending part where she said she "refused" to tell the 5+ people who asked who she bought it from in order to "teach me a lesson." I think she is strange...

6/15/2009 9:42 AM  
Blogger ~Kris said...

I actually didn't think it was that strange, because she was trying to get it done in time for a gift...but the fact that she only paid you $4 for it was odd.
Just block her emails from now on.

6/16/2009 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home