Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A man's race is acceptable...but his religion? His sexuality?

Last night I was struck by the irony that America has made it to a place where an African American can become president, but those of certain religious faiths cannot...I was thinking back on the early race and how I was amazed during Mitt Romney's campaign how many people said they would not vote for a Mormon.

I was also just reading something about Proposition 8 and think it is interesting that the American nation would never elect a known homosexual to the highest office of the executive branch.

I also doubt that America as a whole is willing to elect a woman to the presidency...

I don't think America has come as far as everyone thinks when it comes to equality...though it is a start...

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger RebeckerOnline said...

Agreed. However, I'm glad we've at least taken some little steps this year. Perhaps it will take a few more terms for us to get to the point of accepting these differences.

11/05/2008 6:39 PM  
Blogger Delirious said...

I disagree. I think we would elect a woman...just not a psycho one lol. I kind of look at the council of the book of Mormon, which is to elect righteous people, so that does influence my choice.

11/05/2008 8:01 PM  
Blogger Lindsay Logic said...

This is an interesting post. Interesting that religion can have such an effect on people. Also, I think sometimes even women are judgmental about other women. I know some women don't trust women doctors, etc. I think the majority of the women that don't trust other women are also ones that let their emotions affect their daily decisions, daily moods, etc.

11/05/2008 8:06 PM  
Blogger Dee Ice Hole said...

You haven't even got a clue as to how far this nation has come since 1960. I---for one---lived through all of the court cases and riots and all the other stuff. Through most of your lives there have been no huge differences until 11/4---

11/06/2008 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home