Saturday, July 04, 2009

Definition of Superiority Complex

We had a discussion at my parents' house about inferiority and superiority complexes...since I always have to prove I am right, here is the information from Alfred Adler who coined the term:

"As we know, a superiority complex always hides an inferiority complex; it means wanting to appear greater and higher without actually striving for improvement. We find this kind of superiority complex in the daydreams of a poor and weak child, daydreams about being a hero, a conqueror, the richest person, saving others, although he really fears everything. This superiority complex happens if a child suffers from an inferiority complex. However, the striving for superiority does not tolerate a feeling of inferiority; therefore, the inferiority complex must be covered by a superiority complex. Both reflect the same root."

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Native Minnow said...

Who's got the superiority complex now?

7/04/2009 10:12 AM  
Blogger Nene said...

Interesting, I always wondered why it was always the nerds that seemed to have more confidence to hit on me than the better looking ones, when I was a teen-ager. :0)

7/05/2009 7:35 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

interesting, this feels like one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of scenarios LOL

7/06/2009 7:54 AM  
Blogger Delirious said...

This is very interesting, and goes along with what I always believed. I know people who puff themselves up and brag about themselves, but I could always see that down deep they felt inferior, and were just trying to appear superior to make themselves feel better.

7/06/2009 8:51 AM  
Blogger Dee Ice Hole said...

HMMMMM - YOU WIN

7/06/2009 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home