Friday, March 20, 2009

Obama's Gaffe

I watched Obama on Leno last night and caught his gaffe as he said it. He said something about how his bowling wasn't very good and his scores were like something from the Special Olympics. I wondered if the press was going to catch that and if they would raise a stink. I saw it on the first page of MSN.com, so it must have been noticed. I thought only Joe Biden put his foot in his mouth that bad.

It reminds me of a friend who told a story of her friend who was interviewing for a job working with developmentally disabled children. The interview was going marvelously well. The guy was impressive in his resume and was making a great first impression. The interviewers basically told him he had the job and that they needed a copy of his social security card for their records or in order to higher him. He hit himself in the head and said, "I'm such a retard. I left it at home." Needless to say, he didn't end up getting the job. I think we need to be careful with what we say, and as a psychologist, I need to be more careful about saying things like, "I'm so retarded" when I make a mistake...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Delirious said...

Or how about...."You are driving me crazy!"? :)

3/20/2009 2:54 PM  
Blogger PsychDoctor said...

No...that one is socially acceptable...Just don't say, "You're making me Bipolar" or something like that... :)

3/20/2009 3:28 PM  
Blogger Lindsay Logic said...

I have been trying to break myself of some of those. It's hard, though. lol It shouldn't be, but it is. ;)

3/20/2009 6:42 PM  
Blogger RebeckerOnline said...

Yes, I caught that and wondered what the press would do with it. It especially surprised me coming from him since he was so visually bothered by Joe Biden's comments a few months ago...can't remember what they were.

Anyway, I never use the "r" word now because of these types of things, but I still make errors in calling men shorter than me "little men." Trying to be better, but it's true.

3/21/2009 8:13 PM  
Blogger Native Minnow said...

He shouldn't be too worried about it. It's not like retards can vote anyway.

3/22/2009 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home