Monday, December 15, 2008

And the star spangled banner still waves...


I watched a documentary on the War of 1812 on the History channel the other night. I was greatly touched by the bravery of the men who fought for the freedom that was so perilously close to being snuffed out by the British. There were so many miracles that helped the US win the war, one being that a hurricane and tornado killed many of the British soldiers who had sacked and burned Washington DC, another being that the British cannonball that landed in Fort McHenry's gunpowder storage room never ignited (250,000 lbs. of gunpowder would have absolutely destroyed the fort), and that in the battle of New Orleans the rag-tag army guided by Andrew Jackson suffered less than 20 deaths, whereas the British lost a couple thousand men... For some reason I never realized how important the War of 1812 was...I'm glad that so many were so committed to our freedom and protecting our way of life.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger deputymomof6 said...

I love our troops, they are all brave men and women. I can't imagine being in a war, and I am grateful that there are some that are willing to die to ensure the freedom of us all.

12/15/2008 7:59 PM  
Blogger Native Minnow said...

I was just telling my roommate the other day that I'm very grateful for the men and women in our military, but that I really hope that none of my kids ever enlist. Does that make me selfish?

12/16/2008 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think that way, but ever since I finally became willing to join myself (although they REJECTED me for a stupid hernia), I have felt differently. I think it is an honorable profession and I would be honored if one of my kids joined. (I just wouldn't want them hurt or killed in combat...does that make me selfish?) :)

12/16/2008 11:06 AM  
Blogger Native Minnow said...

Oh, and another thing. I get chills every time I hear someone sing the national anthem before a sporting event. Every. Single. Time.

12/20/2008 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home