Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Damn Psycho Intern....

I stopped in my home town the other day to visit my older brother. He apparently destroyed his pathfinder the other day when he tried to drive it after damaging his plastic engine fan. It is pretty amazing how much damage 1/2 inch plastic can do at 3,000 RPMs. It shredded his radiator, broke his brand new battery, and dented his hood pretty badly. My brother has more car problems and accidents than anyone else I know.

Anyway, his pathfinder was in the shop of his friend M.E. ME's father was also there, whom I used to visit for a church calling. My brother asked if he remembered me, and he affirmed that he did. Then ME loudly stated, "How could I forget you. That's all I heard working at the Conoco after you, 'Why can't you be more like PsychoIntern?'" This reminded me of FliesWithoutWings post about his job evaluation, and how he met or exceeded company expectations because he didn't cause problems and never had to be baby-sat. All I ever did at the Conoco was what was expected--pump gas in full-service/wash windows/check oil levels, clean the bays every night, sweep and mop the office, and clean the bathrooms nightly...I mean, how hard can it be to do the minimum?

Also, my brother informed me that I was the only employee at the Conoco who never ripped off the boss from the till (we always paid ourselves and kept track of our own hours and pay). I guess it was normal for the employees to pay themselves an extra $20 a day, or whatever they thought they deserved for their work above and beyond the agreed upon salary.

It's pretty sad that I gained 'the-best-employee'-that-ever-worked-at-the-Conoco status (at least in my old boss's mind) merely for doing my job and not stealing...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of idiot lets people track their own hours and pay themselves? Seriously.

4/19/2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger Inklings said...

How sad for me to find out your older brother stole from his boss.

4/19/2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger PsychDoctor said...

I thought that was common knowledge...sorry...

4/19/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger Native Minnow said...

In your defense, I thought it was common knowledge too. But I'm definitely with Kris on that. Why on earth would you ever allow people to pay themselves? You might as well just put a bow on the till.

4/19/2007 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A big red bow.
Isn't the statistics 90% of people will steal from an employer, but only if they think they will NEVER get caught?
The other 10% must be
Mormons, because they are the only ones that get to go to heaven

4/20/2007 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home