Thursday, October 19, 2006

Trivial Prayer???

My 5-year-old daughter has had nightmares off and on since she was 3 when we used to let her watch Courage the Cowardly Dog before retiring for the evening (not realizing it was such a scary/creepy show). To help her not be afraid, and also to not want to sleep in my bed every night, I taught her to pray to have happy dreams about (long list of happy things)...I think it used to get her thinking about more positive things, and also help her feel more secure. Well, that has become a nightly ritual and one of the most important things she wants to pray about every night. Sometimes I wonder if God thinks it is silly for us to pray for something so minor when there are so many more pressing issues in the world. My daughter prays that she won't have nightmares, but children in Iraq pray they won't be killed by a car bomb, children in Africa are so hungry and listless they lack the energy to pray, children in abusive families pray the abuse will stop, etc. I think God does hear and answer my daughter's prayers because she has not had many nightmares in the past 2 years when it used to be a nightly occurance, but I also feel slightly foolish at times when there are grave dangers and much bigger problems throughout the world.

1 Comments:

Blogger PsychDoctor said...

And to other people, they might just think you are as big as the world. (I am sure this is what my skinny little girl thinks when she sees her big fat daddy). :)

10/22/2006 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home